Thursday 12 July 2012

Solution for starter motor removal!


Been thinking of ways to plug the eventual hole i will end up with in my crankcase when i remove my starter motor...

Got in touch with silverneck (http://w650shop.de/) in Germany; good guy, really helpful. He used to sell a starter removal kit (no longer available).  He was kind enough to send me an email with a photograph of his solution.  Essentially a bung held in place by 2 thread rods and a plate that screws down to the original starter motor mount points.

I toyed with the idea of tapping some holes and bolting up a blank, then thought of using silverneck's method, I just didn't like the idea of the 2 long thread bolts being there (see below).

...i could machine some out of brass and make em look all pretty...but...another option I heard about today;

"Welch plug".  I have never heard of these bad boys, having done some research, i know exactly what they are, here's a lil bit of trivia for ya http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_plug

I'm thinking this should be pretty perfect...provided I can find one the right size :)




4 comments:

  1. Shit, that is a good idea. I would have gone with the "tap two holes and make a blanking plate" but a Welsh plug is nice and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea man, easy as. found a mob in aus that do a whole swag of sizes too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Need me some vernier calipers to measure this hole...good excuse to spend some money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Need me some vernier calipers to measure this hole...good excuse to spend some money.

    ReplyDelete